Church History

History of Our Church

    Warren United Church of Christ was first known as the First Christian Church of Warren, Indiana, and was organized on October 22, 1871 by Rev. David W. Fowler and Mr. George Abott, who were leaders in the Eel River Christian Conference.

    The first meetings of the church were held in an old unused church building which stood near the site of the Farmers Exchange Elevator. In March, 1877, the matter of a permanent home was taken up and William McCoy, who was a member of the congregation, donated the lot where the church now stands. In the month of June 1879 the new church home was dedcated. 

      This church served the congregation until 1902, when it was torn down to make room for the present commodious structure, and in the year of 1920, the Parish House and Parsonage were constructed. The church was admitted to membership in the Eel River Conferenct on August 21, 1872.

The Sunday School was organized in October 1873 and has continued as a part of the church program from the time of its organization.

     After the Christian and Congregational Churches united into one denomination in the year of 1930, the church voted to become a member of this union and in the year 1935 adopted the name Congregational Christian Church of Warren, Indiana. We thus became members of the Northern Association of the Indiana Conference of the Congregational Christian Church.

     When the merger between the Congregational and Christian Churches and the Evangelical Reformed Church was discussed the Warren church followed its traditional affirmative stand on Church Union. The Uniting Synod, authorized by these two bodies, met in Cleveland, Ohio, June 25-27, 1957. The highest authorized group of each denomination: the Council of Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical Reformed Synod functioned separately during the early integration period, and until the Fifth General Synod met in Chicago, Illinois, July 1-7, 1965. We were then incorporated as the Congregational Christian Church of the United Church of Christ in Warren, Indiana, and therefore members of the Indiana/Kentucky Conference of the United Church of Christ.

© 2017 Warren United Church of Christ
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community